The American Birkebeiner (Birkie) is North America’s largest cross-country ski race and festival. We love being part of this fun and exciting event. This year, Paul Thompson (Cool Planet Co-Direcotor) will be skiing his 37th Birkie! We are pulling out all the stops this year to engage skiers and spectators in action on climate solutions.
– Find our booth at the Birkie Expo Feb 22-23 (in partnership with Citizens’ Climate Lobby)
– Join us for a screening of Saving Snow (featuring Birkie 2017) – three options at the Park Center in Hayward, WI. Each showing will be followed by an action discussion including filmmaker Diogo Freire, local business leaders, scientists, skiers and YOU. Doors will open half-hour before the showing. Popcorn and refreshments available for purchase. Tell your friends: www.bit.ly/BirkieSavingSnow
- Thursday, February 22nd, 6:00pm
- Saturday, February 24th, 6:00 pm
- Sunday, February 25th, noon
TICKETS $5 available on-line or at the door
– You may recall that filmmaker Diogo Freire of Adaptation Now joined us at Birkie 2017 and began filming for the project Saving Snow and joined us for screening of Facing the Surge followed by a panel discussion. This is the result of Diogo’s last year of interviews, filming and shaping the story.
Thanks to the sponsors that are making the Birkie Premiere possible!
Won’t be at the Birkie?
Host a screening of Saving Snow of your own! Tell us your interested and you will receive more information and tips.
Join the growing number of communities hosting a screening and taking action on climate!
Here are screenings in Minnesota alone – and they keep growing by day:
We’re proud of our Olympians speaking up for climate action!
Join Us as a Cool Planet Skier!
Cool Planet Skiers are skiers of all abilities from elite racers to recreational skiers.
Cool Planet Skiers are passionate, informed and take action on climate change.
- Cut your carbon footprint
- Engage your local community in climate issues and solutions
- Advocate for smart policies to reduce carbon emissions
Whether you are a cross-country skier, downhill skier, snowboarder, or just love playing in the snow, we need your help in creating more conversations about climate change and the impact is has on winters in Minnesota and other snowy places then bringing the conversation to taking action to solve the climate dilemma.
SNOW NEEDS YOU!
How snowy are you? Increase your snowflake intensity as a Cool Planet Skier. Start as a flurry and keep moving toward a blizzard. We can help with materials and training on any of the options below!
Getting started…..Snow Flurry:
- Join the Cool Planet Skiers on-line community – Like us on Facebook and join our email list
- Support our work with a tax-deductible donation. Contributions of any amount fund our programs of education and advocacy.
- Reduce your carbon footprint – get a home energy audit, turn off lights and electronics when not in use, bike, walk, carpool, take public transit, etc.
picking up speed…..Snow Storm:
- Wear your support – Make a donation of $10 for a Cool Planet Skiers button and sticker
- Get training on conversations for climate solutions with Cool Planet
- Have conversations for climate action with those in your community: skiers, neighbors, family, friends
- Cut carbon at work and in your community, help others cut carbon
watch out!!!! here comes an…..Avalanche:
- Fundraise for Cool Planet Skiers.
- Host a house party with a Cool Planet speaker or climate related film
- Support local food and local energy initiatives in your community
- Attend a Climate Reality Project training or a Cool Planet SPEAK UP!! climate solutions training
build the movement and create a…..Blizzard of actions:
- Be a Cool Planet Skiers climate action leader in your community
- Host a film series, start a community solar project, organize or join your city energy commission or conservation committee
- Advocate for smart policies to reduce carbon emissions at a local, state and federal level
- Join or start a Citizens Climate Lobby group in your area to pass federal legislation for a revenue-neutral carbon tax
Together we will re-think and re-imagine healthy winters.
Read more about last year’s partnership with the I AM PRO SNOW campaign of the Climate Reality Project and tips on what skiers (and all snow lovers) can do. Though we won’t have a booth at the Birkie this year, we are still pleased to have initiated this partnership and support the great work of the I AM PRO SNOW campaign. Many Climate Reality Project trained speakers are involved in Cool Planet work.
Cool Planet Skier Materials:
Cross Country Skier Magazine article on Cool Planet Skiers
I AM PRO SNOW fact sheet on winter/snow impacts of climate change
Conversations for Climate Action tip sheet